National Doctor's Day
NATIONAL DOCTORS' DAY
National Doctors' Day is a day to celebrate the contributions of doctors to society. It is observed on different days in different countries, but the most common dates are March 30 in the United States and July 1 in India.
In the United States, National Doctors' Day was first celebrated in 1933. It was founded by Eudora Brown Almond, the wife of a doctor, to honor her husband and all other doctors for their dedication to their patients. The holiday was officially recognized by the United States Congress in 1990.
In India, National Doctors' Day is celebrated in honor of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, a physician and the second Chief Minister of West Bengal. He was born on July 1, 1882, and died on the same date in 1962. Dr. Roy was a pioneer in the field of medicine in India, and he is credited with making significant contributions to the development of the country's healthcare system.
National Doctors Day is celebrated every year on 1st July to express and acknowledge the gratitude towards the dedication and commitment of doctors towards our society across the country.
- The theme of 2023 Doctors Day is ‘The life of a great man is honored'.
- For the first time in India, the celebration of National Doctor's Day started in the year 1991.
- The day honours the great physician and second Chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, whose birth anniversary and death anniversary falls on this day.
- On this day all the people, whose life is connected with one or the other doctor, they thank the doctor.
- Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy
- He was born on 1 July 1882 in Patna, Bihar and died on 1 July 1962 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He was a highly respected physician and a renowned freedom fighter.
- He was the second Chief Minister of West Bengal and held his post for 14 years from 1948 until his death in 1962.
- He founded the five cities of West Bengal Durgapur, Bidhannagar, Ashoknagar, Kalyani and Habra.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award, in 1961.
- He became famous as the first medical consultant in the subcontinent of India.
- In his memory, the Central Government has dedicated Dr. B.C. Roy National Award has been instituted.
- He was also instrumental in the formation of the Indian Medical Association (IMA) and the Medical Council of India (MCI) in 1928.
On National Doctors' Day, people all over the world show their appreciation for doctors by giving them cards, flowers, and other gifts. They also take the opportunity to thank doctors for their hard work and dedication.
Here are some ways to celebrate National Doctors' Day:
- Write a letter or card to your doctor expressing your gratitude.
- Give your doctor a small gift, such as a plant or a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.
- Volunteer your time at a local hospital or clinic.
- Donate to a medical research organization.
- Simply say "thank you" to a doctor you know for their hard work and dedication.
No matter how you choose to celebrate, National Doctors' Day is a day to show our appreciation for the doctors who care for us and our loved ones.